French toast is a very flexible recipe. There are hundreds of different variations and it can be:
- Fried or baked
- Prepared and served immediately, or prepared in advance and stored overnight
- Depending on the ingredients (e.g. savory or sweet), it is suitable for breakfast, a main meal or dessert
This article provides an overview of the different recipes and describes how to make French toast. It also discusses the history of this recipe and interesting trivia. Although there are many different recipes, the basic steps and ingredients are:
- Slices of bread (preferably slightly stale bread)
- A mixture of egg and milk, in which the bread is soaked. Some of the richer recipes will use cream as well.
- Sugar and/or spices. Depending on the recipe, these may be added during preparation or may be added after cooking. Maple syrup is a popular substitute for sugar, especially in Canada and the USA. Common spices include nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Fry or bake the soaked bread, depending on…